Monday, October 03, 2005

Mothering Maxim

MOM-EMAIL (TM)

Mothering Maxim

The hardest of all is learning to be a well of affection and not a fountain, to show them that we love them, not when we feel like it, but when they do.
(Nan Fairbrother)

Mom Moment

Herding Cats

By Jill Love, Area Coordinator

Do you remember that commercial from the 2000 Super Bowl - that silly one with the image of cowboys with their ropes and horses trying to herd cats as if they were cows? I do - I actually think of it often.

This same image comes to my mind when I am trying to get my 5-year-old and 2-year-old boys to cooperate in doing something that is on my agenda. Sometimes it's those simple little tasks that are the most difficult as a mom. Many times I realize that what I think is most important to be doing right now conflicts with what my children think is important. MOPS refers to these moments as "Mommy Bumps."

When I am able to take a minute and put these "Mommy Bumps" into perspective, I realize that just maybe my goals of cleaning, grocery shopping, and laundry aren't the most important things to accomplish at this very moment. Although I do get those things done eventually, sometimes it's easier to do the tasks after taking time out for my children: taking three minutes to read Barney one more time, stopping to comment on a new piece of artwork, or even playing a quick game of hide-n-seek. We shouldn't be at the beck and call of our children all the time. But sometimes when I put my children's agendas first and satisfy their needs I am able to get my work done with much less frustration. Better yet, we are all much happier.

Prayer From a Mother's Heart

Dear God, help my child to desire you and your ways above the ways of others.

Thank you to Standard Publishing for sponsoring this MOM-E-Mail. You can introduce your family to a new tradition this fall! The process of transforming a lowly pumpkin into a reminder of God's forgiveness is highlighted in The Pumpkin Gospel, just released by MOPS advisory board member, Dr. Mary Manz Simon. Expose the book pages to light, then turn off the lights to read. Your preschooler will delight in the glow-in-the-dark ink - and you'll begin a new family tradition! Click here to get your copy today!


MOPS

Copyright © 2005 by MOPS International, Inc.


MOPS and MOM-E-Mail are registered trademarks of MOPS International, Inc. www.MOPS.org

MOPS International, Inc. · 2370 S. Trenton Way · Denver, CO 80231-3822

No comments: