Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Prayer doesn't change God

Back from Grapevine, Texas and the MOPS Convention. What an awesome 4 days away to just be Martha. Not Mama, not Wife.. just me!! The convention was incredibly uplifting and changing. I think I am still processing a lot of the information. I am feeling a lot of peace since returning.

Kim Hill who was born in Starkville, MS was our worship leader and incredible doesn't even begin to describe her. She has several albums out, and a deep throaty sound to her. The best part was meeting her and then the next 2 nights having her give "shout outs" to her Mississippi girls!

By far my favorite part was the "general session". Standing in a room with 5,000+ woman in it, all loving God, praising God, and just lifting up in worship was incredible. It gave me chills and on several occasions brought me to tears. God was with us all weekend, guiding each one of our hearts as MOPS leaders, as Wifes, Mothers, Sisters, and Friends.

I really enjoyed a "worship" time with Mark Schultz. This man just oozed compassion, warmth, and faith. His voice.. beyond words!! He is 100x better in person than on his CD, and I LOVE His CD. I cannot wait to see him live again. It was truly breath taking and not a dry eye left in the house. I cannot suggest enough to RUN don't walk and get one of his albums.

My favorite speaker was Dr. Kevin Leman. I had never heard him before nor read any of his books. He is extremely funny. He walked on to the stage in a bright orange Hawaiian shirt. He had some great things to say and truly put it into words anyone could comprehend. I ended up buying one of his newer books called "Sheet Music". I'll let you figure out what that ones about.. but lets just say the girls and I had a great time reading it out loud on the ride home!

All in all it was an awesome trip.... Here are a few key things we learned while awhile! This list was put together by Lori but she hit it all with a nail on the head!!

1. Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me.

2. Moms who don't know Jesus raise babies who don't know Jesus.

3. You can never shock God.

4. God wants to use me but my greatest limitation is my lack of communication with Him.

5. Being real, transparent in my relationships are the only way (do we really want to hang around a bunch of moms who pretend to have it all together?)

6. God's presence is revealed greatest through my many imperfections.

7. Use the guilt you feel as a cue to pray.

8. Don't judge yourself where you or your children are right now.

9. It's perfectly o.k. to have an unhappy child ~ these are teachable moments ~ we have the authority (may be the way God looks at us Smile).

10. You reach your God given potential through prayer.

11. God delights in you!

12. Live out your faith, safety is an illusion, but the Lord is strength!

3 comments:

Ana said...

I'm so glad you had a good time, Martha! It sounds like you learned alot and really enjoyed it. Good for you!

Emily said...

How awesome! I'm passing this on to Lisa! :)

Tracy S said...

That is awesome ..I am glad you had a great time .I love going to conventions ..I love the worship and praise that happens when that many people come together to spend time with God .
I have never heard of MOPS though ...Have you ever heard of Women's Aglow?