Friday, September 02, 2005

A week.. And so many changes!

I don't even know where to start this post.... I am going to try to catch you up on all that has been happening with me!!!

FRIDAY

Friday night we had our MOPS leadership retreat. We stayed at the same place where I accepted Christ back in February. It brought back so many warm memories and renewed my faith. It was a great night. We didn't go to bed till almost 3 am. It's been a long time since I stayed up that late without a crying child. I feel like we bonded as a group which is always helpful. The problem if we don't get some Moppets workers we won't be having a MOPS group. I feel like I am so much to blame even though I have exhausted all of my leads. If you could please say a prayer asking God to give us clarity, and guidance to know his plan for our MOPS group it would be greatly appreciated.


Saturday

I spent the morning finishing up with the MOPS group. Coming home Alex and I snuggled up in bed and slept for 2.5 hours. It was a wonderful nap. Once up we continued to watch the weather. I knew the storm was headed our way watching it gain strength and fearing for the unknown. That evening my friend and the coordinator of MOPS received an e-mail requesting that someone heading to the convention write out and send in their testimony. The person then may get picked to share their testimony in front of some 6,000 woman during the convention. Whoa.... At first I panicked and thought no way. BUT in the end I stayed up till 1:30am writing. I got through 1/2 of it finishing it on Sunday. I am not sure if I plan on posting it here as it has some very personal details. BUT for now if you would care to read it please e-mail me. I have heard that it was sent on to MOPS international in Colorado. I am unsure what the next step is or when I will find out more. So... Please keep this in your prayers. It would be HUGE if I got chosen and a major God moment for me. I know there will be woman at this convention who could be touched by my testimony.


Sunday
Rick left the house early and headed to Church to help work the sound board for both sessions. I quickly raced around the yard with my son getting every toy and lawn item up and stored away. I sat Alex down and showed him the large storm at sea and explained that it was headed our way and I needed a BIG helper. We then raced off to Walmart before it got insane and they ran out of batteries. LOL.. It was unusually busy but not crazy. I quickly stocked up on all the staple items. Then ran off of church! We spent the rest of Sunday watching the weather channel and getting ready for the storm. By now we knew for certain we were in Katrina's direct path!!


Monday

We awoke on Monday morning to a weird feeling in the air. It was almost still! It was cloudy and the rain had just started to drizzle. Rick left for work while Alex and I stayed home watching the weather channel and everything around us get darker and darker. Finally about 1pm, Rick called and said his company was shutting down until Wednesday morning. I was soo thrilled to hear this as the rain had started to really start to pour and the wind was picking up. We decided to take a nap as we felt we might be in for a very long night. We lost power at 4:30pm, but were feeling okay as it was still light out. We watched as large branches snapped off of tress and crashed to the ground. Rain drove sideways across the sky. It was raining close to 2" and hour. My dog refused to step foot outside to pee not even under my car port. He was terrified and would not leave our side. As night set in it started getting scary. Through phone calls we learned that the eye of the storm was headed directly at us. We couldn't see anything outside and only had our ears to listen. The wind was howling along with a driving rain pounding against our windows. We were constantly hearing trees breaking and things thudding on the roof. We were certain a tree was going to come straight into us. About 8pm, I walked into my kitchen and into an inch of water on the floor. The drainage ditch behind the house got clogged and water was rising quickly. I started throwing down towels, blankets, comforters, clothes. Anything I thought that might suck up water. We called our landlord who is also our neighbor and he too was fighting flooding. Rick, and he headed into the dark to battle the elements and dig a trench. With the door open I stood holding lanterns while my son screamed scared for his Daddy. I just wanted it all to stop. Later we learned while they worked we were in the eye of the storm and were having sustained winds of over 60 mph with gusts close to 100. Rick said every time the wind started to gust he would push himself against the house in fear of a tree falling. It was a night we both won't soon forget. We didn't do a lot of sleeping.

Tuesday

We awoke to the rain still coming down. Luckily we never lost phone, so we were able to learn some what was happening around us. We went out to survey the damaged and were just thrilled to see no damage to the house. Our house was plastered with leaves along with every inch of our yard. It was small branches, sticks and big branches every where. We had no power but we were alive. Thank the Lord. We spent the day trying to pick some up outside, and lend a hand to neighbors in need. By 2:00 our power was back. However, some (even today Friday) in my town still do not have power. We were feeling so blessed on Tuesday night.

Wednesday

Life started getting back to normal here in town, Rick headed back to work and I began to sift through the massive amount of laundry. All of those wet items I used to stop the leak now had to be cleaned. Still not having cable or internet I really didn't know what was happening south of me nor the fight for gas. As I headed out Wednesday night for a meeting I suddenly realized just how scary this all was suddenly becoming. People were lined up 50 cars thick waiting for gas. I couldn't believe my eyes. Hundreds of victims were beginning to pour into Columbus to find shelter here.

Thursday
It was a crazy day.... A MOPS leadership meeting, only to have to report we are short Moppets workers. Without workers no meetings.... We have 1.5 weeks to try and do something!
Then it was a Church Woman's social, where I met a 31 year old woman who was almost killed 8 months ago in a car accident. This caused her to have a massive stroke. Although, incredibly bright she was unable to get the words she was thinking to formulate and come out her mouth. Having been in a bad accident myself it was a serious gut check for me. I cannot explain my compassion for her. I was so proud of her for coming.. Not knowing anyone! God just called to me to truly reach out to her and grab hold.

Friday - Today!

This Morning Alex and I went to a local shelter and gave some refugees 2 gallons of home made sweet tea. We also gave a box of stuffed animals straight from Alex. He chose exactly what he wanted to give to the children. We also packed up a box full of toilet paper, diapers, wipes, lysol, toothpaste, shampoo, baby wash, etc... They were so thankful!


We will not be going anywhere this weekend as there is NO GAS anywhere in Columbus! I am on 1/2 a tank and Rick is on 1/4. Rick is hoping to be able to find gas on his way home from work in Alabama. We will be having a major bond fire burning all the trees and brush we have down. It will be a weekend to be thankful and try and ban together as a community. Please pray and if you can help.... Offer aid.... Please do so!!










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you girl..God is all up and in your life working through you! What an amazing blessing you and the two men in your life have become for the kingdom of God! He is your rock and I'm so thankful you are firmly standing on that.
Lori

M said...

Wow Honey, I had no idea it was coming all the way over to you. I should have known, but it didn't click. I'm so glad that y'all are ok.

The gas here is well over $3 a gallon. I never thought that i would see that in my lifetime. I fear that after this tragedy, the gas prices won't go back down. Way to gouge your fellow American...

As far as MOPS goes, advertise at your church if you haven't already. State the situation, people usually come forward when they realize there is a need. God's Blessings to you and all those you know. We love you!!!