Saturday, September 10, 2005

Special Report...

Evenin' Ya'll........ ( a little southern twang for ya)

Yard sale went GREAT!!! FAR better than I expected. We had a steady stream right up to about 12:00! I sold all but about 5 boxes of stuff! 2 I went and donated tonight to the Katrina Victims (more news about this coming up). 2 I am saving and selling at a BIG consignment sale we have coming here this week, and 1 I placed down by the curb for FREE to anyone who wants it! I found a home for almost all Rick's Grandmothers books with a Disabled veteran. He reads about a book a day! Wow... I made about $320.00! I am banking $300.00 of it for my trip! YIPPEE!!!! So it was worth all my effort and hard work.

So, we went to donate the 2 boxes and they gave us a "revised" need list!!! Believe it or not they are still heading down there with buses and rescuing more people in the not so rural areas. A bus was leaving when we arrived and they found over 100+ people living in a "wal-mart" (or what once was Walmart) parking lot. Some had not had food or water in 24-48 hours. No shoes, some no shirts. They were going back to get them tonight!!!

Hurricane Katrina Relief Drive - List 9/10/05
****** We recommend you choose one item or catergory and buy in bulk ******

URGENTLY NEEDED:
  • 5 gallon buckets
  • Baby formula / Pedialyte
  • Backpacks
  • Bug spray / Cutters insect repellant
  • Caps / hats
  • Cookware - saucepans, skillet, spoons
  • Cots
  • Detergent - tablets
  • Diabetic supplies and food
  • Diapers
  • Ensure
  • Flavored water, gatorade, powerade
  • Kindergarten mats, Air mattresses
  • Lawn Chairs
  • OTC Meds - pain, colds, heat rash
  • New Socks and Underwear
  • Sun Block
  • Lip Balm
  • Tarps, Tents, Tie Downs
  • Zip Ties
  • Umbrellas - handhels or 8" lightweight
  • Ziplock Bags / garbage bags

OTHER NEEDS:
  • Baby products
  • Batteries and Flashlights
  • Beverages
  • Canned Food
  • Charcoal, lighter fluid, lighters
  • Clorox Bleach - Bleach cleaning supplies
  • Coolers (styrofoam is ok)
  • First Aid Supplies
  • Linens
  • Paper Products
  • Peanut Butter
  • Personal Hygiene
  • Pet Food
  • Plastic Utensils and Paperware
  • Portable Radios
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Seat Cushions
  • Sleeping bags
  • Snack Foods

Clothes are still being accepted on the base here! I will not accept any cash / check donations! I will pass on all Gift Cards to the local victims in need (they will not be given to the red cross, but rather the actual victims).

IF you can help and would like to ship a box please contact me by e-mail!! Thank you for all of your support and donations!!!!

4 comments:

alyssa said...

So glad to hear your yard sale went off without a hitch. I hope your trip is fabulous and you come back feeling refreshed in body, mind and spirit. I love you!

Tracy S said...

That is awesome girl !!! You must have had great stuff :) I hope you have an awesome trip!!!

Elizabeth said...

Oops. People are funny. You know the whole thing that happened a couple of weeks ago with me? The same people that criticized me and abandoned me did the exact same thing this weekend. And one of them apologized for being a jerk, but I just didn't really want to hear it. I was just...shocked. Teenagers. Fluh.

Heather/SHTEZQ said...

i think it is awsome how you have been posting for the kids of Katrina.