Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Yankee in the South....

I am a born and raised "Yankee" living in the South. I grew up and lived in New Hampshire for 23 years. I lived in a middle class almost totally white town. Needless to say it was gigantic culture shock when I arrived. I WISH I had been blogging back then because it would have been such fun. Numerous times in the last several days I have said "Ooh I need to blog about that..." most of the time "that" involving some crazy Southern thing I just learned. I seriously could write a book with all I have compiled BUT sadly some other smart Yankee beat me to it! "Suddenly Southern: A Yankee's guide to living in Dixie"

When I first arrived I literally could not understand a word anyone said. Worse they couldn't understand me. Normally within 2 minutes they would ask every so sweetly "yur not from round here r ya". My response "how did you ever guess". DUH!!!

Here are just a few of my favorite Southern knowledge that I have gained since arriving...

1. Let me just say catfish are "raised". There are actual people who take on the job of being a "catfish farmer" and I KNOW them. CRAZY isn't it?? I really thought people were pulling my leg when they told me this. I am DYING to get up close and personal with a catfish farm and promise to post pictures when I do!

2. Nabs are an inexpensive small packet of crackers with cheese or peanut butter filling. And to think all this time I thought nabs is when you grab something. Like "I am going to nab you" or "The police are going to nab you". Who woulda thunk it? Here's a little proof to add on to my story!

"Many snack cracker products manufactured by Lance are commonly referred to as "Nabs". The term "Nabs" today is used to refer to any type of snack crackers, most commonly those made and manufactured by Lance, Inc. Many in the southeastern United States prefer the term Nabs to generically mean the specific Toastchee brand of Lance crackers. The term has its origins back to 1924 when the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco) introduced a snack, put in a 5-cent sealed packet called "Peanut Sandwich Packet". They soon added a second, "Sorbetto Sandwich Packet". These packets allowed salesmen to sell to soda fountains, road stands, milk bars, lunch rooms, news stands etc. Sales increased and in 1928 the company adopted and started to use the name NAB, which immediately won the approval of the public. This term caught on and is still widely used today."

3. Sweet Tea is "wicked" AWESOME and the entire country just needs to get a grip and start making it!!

4. Okra is a vegetable! Down here in the south it's most often fried and served as a side option to almost any meal. I personal think it looks like green mush and tastes about the same BUT down here eating okra is like going to church you just do it! :) I am standing my ground on this and will not be eating okra EVER!!!!

5. "God love her but..." This is the Southern polite way of putting some one down. I guess they think but adding that first the insult won't hurt so much. "God love her but she is crazier then a turkey on Thanksgiving". I LOVE this saying.. it seriously cracks me up. Sometimes they will see someone doing something bad, crazy, etc and they will say "God love her..." all drawn out and with such dripping pity. It actually makes you feel bad too! Sadly, I couldn't find a good link for this one.

I Have LOTS more but today we will start with 5.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Oh Martha, you MUST MUST try fried okra. YUMMO!! Dip it in a little ranch and ohhh so yummy! Have you ventured out to try fried frog legs or fried green tomatoes? yum yum yum!!