Thursday, April 07, 2005

Alex: The Fathering of a Preemie!


By: Jeff Stimpson

Yes, that truly is the name of the book! I was floored when Rick's parent's sent it in Alex's Easter basket. I quickly tore into the book. It was gut wrenching and at times walked a parallel to my Alex's beginning days. The book brought so many memories rushing back. Terms used only in the life of the NICU like isolette, BPD, Brady, Apnea, Desat, Pic line, RDS, IVH, ROP, PDA, Anemia, Jaundice, and so many others rattled my brain during my reading.

This is a picture of my son Alex on day 7 of his life. The first day we got to hold in in our arms. It also just so happen to be Thanksgiving 2002. Lots of blessings to be thankful for on that day.

This book was so moving and so dead on for what it is like to live with a child in the NICU. Their Alex spent over a YEAR on oxygen and IN THE NICU. Can you even imagine visiting the hospital every day for a year to visit your baby? And to think I moaned about 42 days! Jeff Stimpsons writing was so heartfelt it was as if I was living those moments with him. At times it was hard to follow but being so sleep deprived that what itwas like trying to hold a conversationwith Rick and I at times. His son Alex is six now and has been diagnosed with Autism. I HIGHLY suggest this book to anyone with a preemie or a sick child.
This is a recent picture of my preemie son Alex! Growing, changing, learning and just being Alex!

No comments: