Thursday, June 30, 2005

One of those days!

Let me start with yesterday.............

Drove to Birmingham and saw Alex's Neurosurgeon! GREAT Doctor and Children's Hospital there is AMAZING! Love them! Anyway doctor said Alex's head grew a "normal" amount in 6 months. YEAH! Alex did awesome.. And didn't even cry when the doctor measured his head. He decided not to do a CAT scan and said we have to come back in 6 months. Alex has what they call benign hydrocephelus. Basically he has a high amount of fluid on his brain but it is not enough to require a shunt and at this time is not causing any problems. "Normally" he would discharge a patient with this type as it rarely turns more serious. However, due to the fact Alex was a preemie and had a grade 2.5 bleed on his brain at birth, along with other issues, he feels it's best to monitor him. I couldn't agree more! He talked to me about what to watch for in changes and things like that. He also just warned me to watch Alex hitting his head as basically the smallest thing could re start the bleed. BUT.. He was pretty relaxed about it and told me not to worry about it, it was all stuff I already knew!

Alex and I had a fun day driving and talking, we also went to the "big city" mall and ate lunch. I made Alex's day by taking him on the carousel. He also did AWESOME with going potty and had no accidents.

So yesterday although slightly stressful turned out to be great!!!

On to Today...................

Well our morning started off great! We went to the local "Spray Ground" (basically a cement slab that has water spraying out of it) and met several of our friends. Not 10 minutes after hitting the water, my friend Cammie's son Caleb and Alex ran straight into each other. BAM.. Alex bounced off him and went face first into the cement with Caleb crumbling on top of him. Cammie ran over and scooped Alex up.. He was like a limp rag.. No crying. I moved towards them and see a HUGE egg on his head. Alex is now sobbing. I walk over and sit him on the picnic table to take a look at it. I tilt his head back and I turned WHITE, my stomach flip flopped, and I quickly put his head back against my chest as my mind raced. He had 2 GIGANTIC eggs on each side of his forehead. I seriously cannot even begin to describe the horror. Alex continued to cry. I began to shake and told my friend Callie. I think we need to go to the ER, he looks like an alien. I take another look.. OMG.. It's WORSE.. Purple.. Blue.. Red.. And swelling up by the minute. I started breathing really fast and make the decision to move and now. I scoop Alex up and start to gather my stuff when I tell Callie... Just grab my stuff and bring it home. I'm leaving now for the ER. I start for the car and Cammie see's Alex and realizes how bad the situation is. She orders me to put him in her truck, she'll drive me. I start rambling off Rick's work number to Callie. As I climb into Cammie's truck. As we started heading towards the ER, Alex's eyes start to roll into the back of his head. At times he is totally unresponsive and I have to really push and rub his sternum to get a response. He says his neck and head hurt. My mind was racing to what the Neurosurgeon told me. I was trying to stay as calm as possible and not cry. We got there and they took us right back! We got Alex mostly stable as he SCREAMED while having his temp and blood pressure taken. Cammie was AWESOME, she got us all checked in and took such great care of me and Alex. THANK GOD for blessing me with friends like her. She even did crazy dances and singing trying to keep Alex from falling asleep. We also were blessed with a clam gentle nurse who worked hard to comfort Alex and help him relax. Rick arrived and took over, sending Cammie back to her own children. Callie drove my truck to the hospital while her sister followed in her car. THANK GOD, for blessing me with such amazing friends. They truly made the day so much easier. The only thing I had to focus on was Alex. Next they did a CAT Scan of his head. Alex screamed as we had to hold his head still but they didn't want to put him to sleep since he had a head trauma. Finally that done we waited. Alex pepped up a little bit, and started getting some of his life back. Doctor came in and said no skull fractions just a major concussion. PHEW! She said he would be sore and to watch him closely but that we could go home. Alex was ready. He is refusing to walk, I think because he is dizzy. We got him to eat a little bit of lunch and gave him some motrin. He has been sleeping since about 2:15 or so. He looks pretty beat up but I am just so thankful it was nothing more serious. God blessed us today in so many ways! It was a long tough morning but God was with us from the instant we woke up. He is on a tight watch by Mom and Dad for the next 24 to 36 hours. I am just so thankful for it being nothing more serious, for my incredible friends who quickly jumped into action to help, pray, and be there for me, and for Rick's work allowing him to leave on such a quick notice. God truly was holding our hands today.


3 comments:

M said...

Oh Martha! That's so frightening! Especially after what the docs told you yesterday. Yes, thank God for your friend Cammie. I'm so glad that Alex will be ok.

It takes me back to when Owen was 8 days old. We were trying to breast feed and having a hard time with it. He finally got a good latch, then he went blue. I turned him over and wapped his back, then in the middle of the first rescue breath I remembered "SHALLOW". He turned pink, then blue again, I gave him another breath and then he started breathing on his own. It was my first day at home alone with him. I thought that I'd killed my child.

It turned out that he had reflux. He was in the NICU at Texas Children's Hospital for 7 days. I was so scared. Owen is okay and Alex will be too. I'm sending love and BIG HUGS to you and yours! love you, m.

Ana said...

Oh Martha, that's so scary! I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious and I'm praying that he gets all better soon!
Hugs

Modokker said...

How scary Martha. Those big bumps on the head are so scary. We've had several here over the yrs. With all Alex has been thru I know it had to really scare you. I am glad you had a great friend with you and she took such great care of you. I hope he is feeling better by now.