Thursday, May 11, 2006

My Sleep Quandary!

It seems I am in a sleep quandary. Everywhere I turn people are talking about their sleep habits or their children's sleep habits. It's amazing how focused we become on something and soon it's all we are hearing. Today I walked into a restaurant to order lunch and sure enough there on the news blazing for the entire world to see "When should children leave their parents bed". I wanted to slam my head on the counter. Dear lord people Don't DO IT!!!! I NEVER would have dreamed about taking a perfectly normal healthy infant into our bed to make it a "family bed". Alex and his heart monitor sang a different tune. I have decided to warn all pregnant woman to NEVER say while watching another Mommy in action "I will NEVER do that". Because By golly that is EXACTLY what you will be doing 2 years from now. Become a Mother makes you do the most insane things. For example would you ever ever imagine cupping your hands to catch throw up just to make your clean up job a little easier? Or sleeping straight up in a recliner for nights on end while your infant struggles to digest his milk and vomits on you again and again? How about using your t-shirt as a tissue while your child is playing in the park? And of course my personal favorite who in their right mind would ever say oh yeah I am going to get up every 3 hours and stick to horns to my breasts and pump milk out of them as if your someone's personal cow. Yeah me too..... Yet I have done every single one of these things and then some I am not daring enough to list. Kids... They make parents do the most insane things.

Today when I went to pick Alex up from school the teacher came out and said he was a dead log on his nap mat. WHAT! Seriously? She told me he was complaining all day how tired he was and crashed at nap time. WOW.. He's been going to school here since September and this has never happened before. So I go in and pick him up thinking he would wake up and whoa... He didn't. Into the car and he barely even lifted his head. He really was tired. We got home and it is gorgeous out today so I opened my house door and the van door and let him sleep. I kept expecting him to walk in any minute. Nope... Finally I went out and picked him up thinking this will wake him for sure! Yeah.. Not so much. He slept from 1 to 5:30! And that is with me moving him 2x! My poor baby. First let me just say this is VERY unusual. Whoa... I don't know if it's just from us changing his sleep pattern.. Finally sleeping better thus his body wants more? Getting sick?? I just don't know!!! Normally I would have never let him do this but it was so rare and he was so out... I figured he must REALLY need it.

Tonight I will push his bedtime back some so that it can adjust from this long long nap! We forced him awake and he still wanted to sleep more. Bed time is going to be really interesting............................

No comments: