Monday, June 30, 2008

Another Day - Another Trick!

I wish I could be 5 again. The summer before you start kindergarten before anything gets complicated. No clue about relationships except to love and to be loved. Where the hardest thing is deciding what to eat for breakfast. Man... what a life my child lives. I LOVE watching Alex grow up. At times it makes me sad cause he is my only and last baby but mostly I relish every breath he takes as if it were his last. Having seen my child sitting on death's door often gives me a different perspective than most. I try hard to enjoy even the hardest days when I want to lock myself in my bathroom for the longest Mommy time out ever. lol But then Alex does something like pray for me on how own in the ar on the way to the doctor because I have a cold and he's afraid I'll get a shot. My sweet, sweet child.....

Let's see.. I guess I have to start this story back on Friday. We were having our normal afternoon at the pool when my son decided to learn how to dive. Now for those who don't know Alex in person he is fearless. He also is extremely determined. Once he decides to do something he just does it with very little effort. At 14 months I thought he would never walk a week later he was running across the room. seriously.... Anyway, he decides he wants to dive.

So I take him over to the edge of the pool sit him down and show him a sitting dive, Boom he does it. Okay, I stand up and dive off the edge, after 5 dives he does the sweetest dive ever. So Sweet that the lifeguard leans over the stand and tells him man that was awesome! His legs were tight and straight and even his toes were pointed. It was insane.... Next I try and get him to do it off the diving board. I insist he's ready BUT because he IS my child he is also EXTREMELY stubborn and if he doesn't want to do it... it is NOT going to happen. NO WAY he says... Several lifeguards and a few older boys all try and convince him. NOPE....

Finally he gives in and I get him to sit on the end of the board and dive down. Does that like a pro so I figure NO PROBLEM.. he'll do it now. NOOOO.. he tells everyone "I'm too young maybe when I am 13". WHAT!?!? 13!?!?!?!? So we leave the pool with no standing dive... bummer...

Rick talks to him later that night but it's still a no go. Saturday evening Rick gets the chance to head to the pool with us for the first time. Rick was blown away at his swimming and jumping. Well now Daddy's here so it's time to impress. Rick shows him how to do a squatting dive. (now mind you myself and 3 other people ALL showed him the same thing the day before) BUT Daddy did it so he walks out and does a PERFECT dive. I am stunned (and honestly a little crest-fallen because he did it for Daddy and not me, and I am the swimming instructor). We cheer of course and go crazy as everyone in the pool looks on like we are the biggest dorks ever. 5 dives later he is standing straight up diving in.... ahhh such a proud Mama!!!




No comments: