Sunday, June 29, 2008

...... Glasses ......

"20/20 vision is a term used to express normal visual acuity (the clarity or sharpness of vision) measured at a distance of 20 feet. If you have 20/20 vision, you can see clearly at 20 feet what should normally be seen at that distance. If you have 20/100 vision, it means that you must be as close as 20 feet to see what a person with normal vision can see at 100 feet.20/20 does not necessarily mean perfect vision. 20/20 vision only indicates the sharpness or clarity of vision at a distance. There are other important vision skills, including peripheral awareness or side vision, eye coordination, depth perception, focusing ability and color vision that contribute to your overall visual ability.
Some people can see well at a distance, but are unable to bring nearer objects into focus. This condition can be caused by hyperopia (farsightedness) or presbyopia (loss of focusing ability). Others can see items that are close, but cannot see those far away. This condition may be caused by myopia (nearsightedness).
A comprehensive eye examination by a doctor of optometry can diagnose those causes, if any, that are affecting your ability to see well. In most cases, your optometrist can prescribe glasses, contact lenses or a vision therapy program that will help improve your vision. If the reduced vision is due to an eye disease, the use of ocular medication or other treatment may be used."

Ahhh Google is my friend!! It's crazy the things you can find on-line. Tomorrow I have the joy of seeing the eye doctor after what I believe to be about 17 years. HOW it can be that long I have no idea but I think the last time I had my eyes properly checked by a ophthalmologist was right before I turned 16. My Mom took me before I went to get my driver's license just to be sure I was all set. Just a little food for thought but both my parent's couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without their glasses. Seriously... Blind as a bat is putting it mildly. They also both got glasses very young around 2ish. My oldest brother Jim wears glasses and the older he gets the thicker the lenses get. Know what I mean?? Next is my brother Tim who miraculously has 20/20 vision at 35 years old. He has NEVER worn glasses or even complained about his eyes. Number 3 of course is me... I wore glasses 1 year in 6th grade because the lights in the room gave me horrible headaches. It really put a strain on my eyes and I temporarily failed the eye test. Weird I know. Sarah, child #4, well.. she is a funny little case. She got glasses as a kid but refused to wear them for fear of the "nerd" status being stapled to her back. SO she walked around clueless and seriously blind for years. How she played soccer or softball I honestly cannot imagine. I finally forced my mother to take her when we drove by a HUGE billboard sign and I asked her to read it to me and she couldn't. UHHH Houston we have a problem!!!!! Needless to say she was wearing contacts a week later. She too is umm Blind!! Sarah.. I love you.. but your blind as a bat! :)

When I brought Alex in for his appointment and I sat trying to read the letters as he was... uhh.. decided I better get mine checked too. Tomorrow at 1pm is the time set to see if I too will join the world of the 4 eyes. Pray that just because I have had 33 birthdays does not mean that my eyes have gotten old or that I am turning into my parents.






No comments: