Monday, August 22, 2005

A Mom Moment!

Mom Moment

What Comes Easy

By Marcia Hall, MOPS Area Coordinator

Normally when moms share about their children the topics revolve around the difficulties we have with child rearing. We can spend countless hours discussing potty training, naps, sibling rivalry, playgroups, preschools, and anything else that concerns our children. We will sit and console each other over our sleepless nights, spilled milk, car-seat horror stories, or the always popular "what happened when I went to the grocery store with my child" story. Now, of course, we can all learn great parenting tips and survival hints from each other during these discussions, but what if we were asked to share something that came easy with our child? I was asked this question at a MOPS meeting a few years ago.

Wow, something that came easy? We all had to think about this for a few moments. We weren't allowed to just use our maternal bragging rights about how "sweet" or "polite" our child was, but rather we had to think about something that had come easy for us with our child.

My son was about three when we did this exercise and I really thought that NOTHING had come easy. At this stage he would eat two meals - macaroni-n-cheese and peanut butter and jelly. And, my son had (and still has) boundless energy and the ability to argue with me like a world-class attorney. His diet choices and his attitude came very easy for him, but we were to share something that had been easy on us as we were raising our children.

After listening to a few moms it finally hit me. A few things that had "come easy" with my son. He was never afraid of water. He took showers in a tub seat from the time he was very little. And, he loved taking naps and going to bed at night. Yes, it is true; I had a toddler who liked to sleep and who liked water in his face. In the past, I had never focused on what had "come easy." Instead, I had found it easier to focus on the difficulties.

I left that meeting feeling a little lighter on my feet as a mom. Focusing on the positive traits of my son instead of dwelling on the daily struggles of being a mom allowed me to see my son in a new light. Even today, five years later, I remember the affirmation that small exercise gave me as a mom.

Mom, what "comes easy" for you with your child? Ask your friends the same question. It is a revealing and refreshing way to share about your children and encourage each other in this season of mothering.

***** So all my MOM friends I ask you, what "comes easy" for you with your child?

My Answer: I think the easiest thing for me is the love that just pours out of my heart. It is so easy to love Alex. Our bond is like nothing I have ever imagined. From the moment I saw his tiny face staring out at me through the mesh of wires, tubes, and machines, our eyes locked and I knew nothing would ever be the same. Loving Alex is the easiest part of having him!

No comments: