Monday, August 15, 2005

Pregnant and smoking??

Okay so I just don't get it! With all of the information out there WHY would some pregnant woman continue to smoke? I guess that's like asking why some pregnant woman would do drugs, or drink too much alcohol. For me it's like banging my head against a brick wall!

This weekend Rick, Alex and I went to Geyser Falls a water park here in MS. While standing in line at one of the many kids slides Rick starts having me try to look at some woman down below. He describes her "by that tree, sitting down on the rock, wearing a visor and sunglasses." My eyes finally register and yes I see her. Rick then tells me she is super pregnant, and smoking. We both comment how horrible it is. THEN.... The guy in front of us turns around and says you must be talking about my wife. (now out of all the slides we get behind this guy???) Rick and I register SHOCK. Rick recovers first and asks the guy if he realizes how dangerous smoking is for an unborn child, pointing to Alex saying he was 2 months premature and my wife didn't smoke. The guy then points to his kid and says she smoked with him and he was 10 pounds and no problems. He turns around... Rick and I just look at each other shaking our heads. Suddenly he turns back around and says she only smokes occasionally. Who was he trying to justify it too? Rick tells him he'll be praying for his unborn baby. The guy turns around without another word.

After we go down Rick and I just can't stop laughing at the irony of it all. What were the chances in this HUGE park for us to get behind this ladies husband!

But honestly it just truly saddens me that she is being so selfish.. And that HE supports her!! Where is the doctor in this?? WHO knows how this baby will turn out! Would they even know the signs of asthma, ADD, Autism, and more problems that could arise?? When he is daignosed with something 3 years from now will they think back to those cigarettes? Ugh.... My heart just breaks!

2 comments:

YankeeAmanda said...

Not to mention the increased risk of SIDS. I bet if something DOES go wrong with the baby, heaven forbid, they'll wonder "Why us?"

Martha said...

Of course! Those are the ones who would say something like that. It would never cross her mind about the smoking!!