Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Growing up Country!

I grew up in a small town called Litchfield, NH. I spent my summers barefoot. Running around on freshly cut grass. My feet were tough, and often green. We lived on a big organic farm. The farmer use to pay my sister when she was little to pick bugs off the plants. She had to count them and bring the bucket full of bugs when she was done. Looking back I think he didn't expect her to actually pick that many maybe a 100 or so. He offered her 1 penny a bug. My sister might have been 5 at the time, but even then she was an over achiever. She would literally bring out 500 to 1,000 bugs at a shot. After a few times the poor farmer had to renegotiate the deal. She was never forced to do it, she just did it because she loved it. I sold Strawberries, Blueberries, and Raspberries. Oh man I ate way more than I sold. They were so yummy. My brothers picked corn. What a horrible job that was. They would come back covered in yellow, and hands covered in sores. YUCK. It was an experience though and something I have come to cherish since moving away.

Just a little memory that popped into my head today as I look at my green feet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HELLO MARTHA!!!!!