Sunday, May 01, 2005

I am getting Baptised!

I have been thinking about this in detail. I was baptised as an infant in a Catholic Church by my parents but I was not raised any religion. We never went to Church unless someone was getting married or someone died. Honestly, religion was not discussed in my house. In February, I finally chose Jesus Christ as my Savior. I have been working hard to walk a Christian life style. I am far from perfect but I pray daily, read my Bible and ask for forgiveness for my sins. My Church is having a group Baptism next Sunday. Today we discussed the meaning and purpose of being Baptised.

Then My friend sent me this:

How is baptism supposed to be done?

The word “Baptism” as found in the Bible is a Greek word that means “to immerse” when translated into English. Because of the importance of the symbolism and identification involved in baptism there is only one method that is acceptable Biblically - full immersion. The person is totally submerged in water.

Where is baptism to be done?

Baptism can be done anywhere there is enough water to immerse a person. It can be done in a church, in a river, a swimming pool, a lake, or in an ocean. Baptism must be a public ceremony. It is a public declaration of identification with Jesus Christ.


I am hoping maybe some of you can tell me your story of being Baptised. How it happened? What you had to do? How did you feel?

I want to think about this in detail before it actually occurs. I am having a hard time in my heart as my family does not support my choice. Some in my family claim they are Catholics but yet never go to Church. Other's just don't have any belief! I don't expect any of them to believe just because I do. I just want them to support me. Right now I don't have that, and it's hard. I have no "family" to talk to about this..... So here I am writing it here! LOL


Baptism is…

Baptism is how we get into Christ.
Baptism is always accompanied by faith and repentance.
Baptism is God’s terms of surrender.
Baptism is our signal to God we have accepted Christ’s gospel.
Baptism is the external washing with water and the internal washing away of sin by God.
Baptism is “calling on the name of the Lord.”
Baptism is being unified with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection.
Baptism is “clothing” ourselves with Christ.
Baptism is “accepting” Christ (on His terms, not ours)
Baptism is when our sins are forgiven.
Baptism is when we receive the Holy Spirit.
Baptism is how and when we come into contact with the blood of Christ.
Baptism is when we are reborn.
Baptism is an act of faith.
Baptism is how we enter the kingdom of God.
Baptism is when we are added to the body of Christ (the church).
Baptism is when we exchange our life for His.
Baptism is when we die to ourselves and come alive in Christ.
Baptism is the washing of regeneration, and renewal of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism is the starting gun of a race of a new life.
Baptism is proclaiming in Christ the resurrection of the dead.
Baptism is when the old dies and the new arises. In this manner we become saved.
Baptism is the point in time when we become saved.
Baptism is when we stop living for ourselves and start living for Jesus.
Baptism is how and when we scripturally make a conscious decision to dedicate our lives to Christ.
Baptism is how we scripturally enter into a relationship with Christ.
Baptism is the gavel striking the bench proclaiming forgiveness of sins, the end of the old and the birth of the new.

BAPTISM:
is done FOR the forgiveness of sins (
Acts 2:38)
is done to SAVE us (
1Peter 3:21, Acts 2:40, Mark 16:16)
Is done to WASH AWAY OUR SINS (
Acts 22:16)
is done to be REBORN to new life (
John 3:5, Romans 6:3-6)
is done to CLOTHE ourselves with Christ (
Gal 3:26-27)
is done so that GOD will RESURRECT us from death (
Colossians 2:12, Romans 6:3-6)
is done as a REQUIRMENT to enter heaven (
John 3:5)
is done to put us INTO CHRIST (
Romans 6:3-6, Galatians 3:26-27, 1Corinthians 12:13)

When accompanied by faith and repentance, baptism (immersion) is how and when our sins are washed away. If it is not done for the purpose of washing our sins away (
Acts 22:16), it is not the ONE baptism of the New Testament (Ephesians 4:4-5) and therefore the “baptism” is invalid. It needs to be done in the correct, Scriptural manner.

When Jesus died on the cross, He, who had no sin, paid the death penalty for our sins. Through baptism we are united, or joined with Christ in paying the death penalty for sin. We are baptized into His death, into the death penalty for sin. We, who are unable to return from death because we have sin, are joined to Christ—and since Christ is sinless and was victorious over death, we, now being united with Him
through baptism, are made victorious being united with Christ in His resurrection.

Now if God allows us to participate in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (an event which occurred 2000 years ago), through baptism, it can truly be said we are saved through faith and God’s grace!

Baptism can be likened to the Israelites coming up out of the land of slavery, passing through the Red Sea and entering the Promised Land. Baptism can be likened to passing through the flood of Noah. Baptism is about leaving our old sinful, worldly ways behind and taking upon our shoulders the yoke of Christ. It is about lifestyle change and dying to ourselves and doing God’s will instead of ours. Our reason and purpose for living changes after baptism. Afterward is a new way of life. Baptism is about heart, faith, total commitment, surrender, self-denial, death, resurrection, repentance, and seeking God’s mercy through Jesus Christ and the work He did on that cross on that day of infamy 2000 years ago.

See also
Romans 6:3-5
Baptism IS the gospel!

2 comments:

Ana said...

Martha, I'm catholic and I was baptized as a baby so I don't remember how it felt. However, I had my Confirmation when I was 16 (that is the sacrament where the person reiterates what their parents and godparents said during the baptism. if you are only baptized as an adult in Catholic Church, then you receive both sacraments - baptism and confirmation - at the same time).
I remember my Confirmation was a moment of peace and I felt absolutely sure of what I was saying, that Jesus is my Saviour and that I renounce all evil and promise to follow Him. I prepared for over a year to receive this sacrament and it was a beautiful moment.

If you go ahead with this, I hope your family reconsiders and realizes how important something like this is. I think it's beautiful that you want to do this and once you make your final decision it will make you feel so happy and fulfilled! Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Martha,
I like Ana, was babtized into my faith as an infant. We are Episcipal, close to Catholic. I however only recieved confirmation a few years ago. I had move away from our church right before it was time to start classes and we never found a church that we were really comfortable with. When we came back home to our church(my childern are 4th generation to be brought up there), there were some problems with our rector. He is in fact now a matress salesman. We had in interum rector for almost 2yrs while a new pastor was sought. We found a wonderful one who is the one who married my husband and I and gave a memorial service for my son. He was offered a larger church and took it, and we got a wonderful Rector....Mother Sarah. She baptized Shallyn on her first Sunday in the church. She is the one who showed me how to really open my heart and listen to our lord. I decided to be confirmed. My husband who was raised a Catholic was formerly recieved into the church on the same day. It was the most amzing peaceful feeling I have ever had. I learned a lot about myself during the preparation and felt so much happiness and peace afterwards. I will pray that your family recognizes how important this is to you and comes to accept this for you. No matter what, you need to do what you feel like your heart and our lord is leading you to do. Sending lots of support as you make this important descision.