Thursday, May 26, 2005

How to Make Choices you won't regret!

Well.. My first ever bible study is over. We did a 6 week precept study called "How to make choices you won't regret" by Kay Arthur, David & BJ Lawson.

The first 2 weeks I felt incredibly "stupid". Everyone seemed to have so much more knowledge in the bible that at times I felt totally out of place. Over time though I found my comfort ground and realized it was okay if I knew less as I was there to learn. The woman made me feel really comfortable and at ease. I am just so blessed that God has led me here to Columbus, MS and to these Amazing woman.

Last night really set the mark for me, I can't go into full detail here in order to protect myself and others BUT... We worked on the following scripture:


Galatians 5:19-25

"Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are; immorality, impurity,sensuality, Idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of the which I forewarn just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."


I personally didn't realize some of the sins listed where considered sins. "outbursts of anger" was one that really struck a cord with me. I have a horrible temper. One I sadly learned through my Father. Over time it has gotten better but at times I know I am out of control. The more someone learns to push my buttons the worse it gets. It really was a wake up call for me. Something for me to work on and something for me to strive for.

At the end of the study it had a great wrap up but it was the last 3 paragraphs that really struck me. I just had to come here and share with all of you.

"You have been given the resources: the Word and the Holy Spirit. The choice is yours. Will you walk according to the Word of God, being led by the spirit? Or will you choose to disregard the Spirit's leading and follow after your fleshly desires?

If you choose to sin, remember that you can't choose where sin will lead you. A choice for instant gratification of your fleshly desires can bring consequences that last a lifetime; even worse, it can bring death to you or to those you love.

On the other hand, friend, should you choose to walk according to the Word, being led by the Spirit, God will bless you more than you ever imagined possible!"

What will you choose to do?

1 comment:

M said...

Hey Martha~
I have the same problem with my temper, inherited as well. A friend of mine told me that when I feel that feeling that rises in me, when I want to rage, just to step back and remove myself from the situation. Give myself a minute for the rage to pass, then re-address the situation. "Is it really as bad as I think it is, or am I over reacting?" Usually, I was over reacting, especially in reguards to my 4 year olds behavior.

I will keep you in mind when I say my prayers that you can conquer this. The enemy always tries to put out the brightest lights of God's kindom. Let's not give him that power. love to you! michelle.