Friday, May 06, 2005

Let the Games Begin.........

Today was Pre - Op day! Ohh the joy! I tried to start our morning off right and took my son to get donuts. Okay, I admit it, I was totally trying to bribe him! I figured if I buttered him up maybe I wouldn't feel so bad when they stuck the needle in his arm. We got in the truck and off we went. Alex asked where we were going and I was honest and told him the hospital. Luckily, he asked no more questions. Once inside I gave the lady at the desk his name and we went to sit down. So far... So good! He seemed a little nervous about being in the new place but basically was his normal chipper self..... Then..... His name was called. Alex held my hand and head toward the back, we sat in the big rocking chair and talked to the nurse. She told me they needed to do 2 blood tests, I told her he was going to have to be held down as he would freaked. She looked totally nervous. LOL. I wondered which one of them would freak out first. Sadly, at this point, I am feeling like a professional Mom. No biggie. I SWORE to myself I wouldn't cry. I knew that would only make Alex worse. First they did a stick in his left arm for the clotting test. They had a blood pressure cuff on him and he just cried and cried. He just did NOT want that nurse holding his arm. 5 minutes went by but he wouldn't clot because he was moving so much. Finally I got him to hold still long enough for it to "count". PHEW... One down.. One to go! We headed off down the hall and along the way encountered 4 nurses who asked is he the little one being stuck. YEP.. He would be the one... "Oh boy, I better come help". By this point we now have 5 nurses in the room, Alex and me. He saw all of them.... And just about nearly died! I am CERTAIN everyone in the waiting room heard his hollers of "Please Mama.. HOLD YOU"......... This Mama held a brave front determined to stay strong. 3 nurses held his legs and body, I held his 1 arm and head. The other 2 held his arm and did the stick. God, bless those poor women. She got the needle in which only turned my child white with screams. In the back of my mind I wonder if he would projectile vomit on all of them as revenge. It seriously would NOT have shocked me. Sadly, the nurse couldn't find the vein, and the digging for it began.... And on... And on... And on... I laid my head down on Alex's singing.. And finally I said Alex pray with Mama. He quieted down some still screaming. We prayed for the Lord to hold my song and calm him, letting him know he would be okay. We prayed for those nurses to find a vein and fast, we asked the lord to give me patience and to help me to remain calm. Finally I said AMEN. Alex, tears streaming down his face screamed out.. "AMEN"! Bless my baby's sweet lil heart. FINALLY 6 minutes later the nurse hit the vein, the blood began to pour and numerous vial's later we were done. Alex began to shake, exhausted, and drained. He cried and cried. The nurse put tape and cotton on the mark which only made Alex more mad as he ripped it off! Then I notice the vein is buldging... OMG... Turns out it was bleeding internally. GREAT...... Finally the swelling went down, Alex trembling in my arms slowly sipped apple juice as Mama tried to figure out how I was going to salvage the day. PHEW..... An hour 20 minutes of trauma for 2 sticks. Luckily we both survived! He has 2 nasty bruises on each arm but he is doing fine now. No aspirin as of today... And we are down to a week before the big day!

Asking for prayers this week to keep us busy and help the week go by fast and stress free!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Martha ... I am so sorry to hear Alex had to go thru that, and you with him! I remember having to lay on my oldest when they took pre-op blood, and I cried with her. You are one brave and tough woman.

Best of luck to Alex and you and Rick too!