Friday, February 25, 2005

After a Deep Day...

Yesterday was well... a DEEP day! LOL... today will be lighter!

I am happy to report I have once again signed up to walk for the March Of Dimes in Honor of my Preemie Son Alex. This will be my third walk since he was born in November 2002. WalkAmerica - View Personal Page. Please visit my page if you have the time!! I am planning on purchasing "Saving Babies Wristbands" and also "Prematurity Car Magnets" which people will be able to purchase from me for $1.00. All proceeds will go straight into my donation bucket for the March Of Dimes! Shop to Help: Display Your Passion!
Prematurity is sadly on the rise! Every day 1 in 8 babies born in the U.S. arrives too soon. Premature birth can happen to any woman and be life threatening not only for her baby but also for her. It is a serious, common and costly problem. The March of Dimes is leading the campaign to reduce premature birth by supporting research and by educating the public and health care providers. How many babies are born every year in your state? Click here and find out! Peristats - March of Dimes. In CA where my son was born in an average WEEK 973 babies are born preterm, 140 very preterm, 650 are born low birthweight, 117 are born very low birthweight. Thats a total of 1,880 babies a WEEK struggling for their lives. In 2002, there were 50,612 preterm births in California, representing 10.2% of live births.
I am constantly amazed at how many people we meet who also have had a premature baby. It is far more common than people think. Every woman hopes for the perfect pregnancy and of course the perfect birth. I know I dreamed of giving birth and being wheeled out of the hospital by my glowing husband with our new born perfect son. NONE of that happened for us. In fact we were not able to hold our son in our arms for 7 days. It was another 32 before we were able to bring him home. Please help Support the March Of Dimes in any way you can, so that Parents like Rick and I can hold our babies that much sooner.

*** If you Live in the Columbus Area and would like to Support the March Of Dimes and Rick, Alex and I, PLEASE join us on March 20th and walk with us. We would LOVE for you to JOIN our team! http://www.walkamerica.org/personal_page.asp?w=274557 (you can register off my page).

Isn't He Worth It??




Footnotes:
Preterm refers to births occurring before the 37th week of pregnancy.
Very preterm is less than 32 weeks.
Low birthweight infants weigh less than 2500 grams or 5 ½ pounds.
Very low birthweight infants weigh less than 1500 grams or 3 1/3 pounds.

No comments: