Sunday, February 20, 2005

"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren

Yesterday my Mom and I went to the local book store. We split up and started to try and find what books we wanted. I was quickly drawn in by a book called "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. It is book that will help you understand why you are alive and God's amazing plan for you. It is a 40 day personal journey. I picked up the book and made my choice. I found my Mom and she of course looked to see what I was buying, asked what it was and I explained. She didn't have to much to say. That's okay.. I wouldn't have either a year ago. I am really excited about beginning my journey. I am truly hoping Rick joins me in the journey. I also found out friends of ours, Natalie and Mark are also reading this book. They are now about 2 weeks ahead of us. This is PERFECT as now we will have someone to discuss the readings with.

"Let God transform you into a new person changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do."

My Mom did end up going to Church with us. It was clear she was totally out of her element the moment we entered the front door. She wanted to sit down fast, it was as if she was taking horrible tasting medication. Quick.. Close your eyes.. Throw it into the back of your throat.. Hold your nose... Throw your head back... And SWALLOW! LOL! I almost felt sorry for her. I tried to make her feel comfortable and many people came up to say hello. This was her own shame and guilt she was dealing with. She ended up choosing a couch in the far far back of our church and closest to the door. I was certain she was going to bolt at any moment. Thank goodness Rick had the keys to the truck. She did not sing.. She did not smile... I "felt" like she was trying to make herself invisible. She shut herself off long before she ever entered the Church doors. I am so so sad about this. I will continue to pray that she too, can free herself from the guilt of her sins so she may feel the love and freedom I feel.

Today, was the first time since we have been going to Church that we did Communion. Pastor Nace, gave a short sermon about the meaning of Communion. He invited those who had taken Christ into their hearts and have dedicated their lives to him to come up and take part. Rick, my dear sweet husband quickly looks at me, wide eyed and said "I don't want to drink out of the same cup as everyone else". I had to chuckle as yet again his fears were holding him back. Did he seriously think that all those people were going to drink from that cup? I explained to him that you dip your bread not drink from it. I closed my eyes and began to pray asking God to help Rick decide what the right thing to do was. Rick then leaned over and whispered into my ear telling me he was not going up. I smiled and told him that was fine and I understood. I stood and took my place in line. I was ready to accept Communion.
Later tonight, I asked Rick why he choose not to go up. He said "I almost did, I don't know why I didn't". I then asked him if he heard everything Pastor Nace said before offering Communion? He explained that yes, he fully understood it all. I think the look on my face said it all. I said.. "Rick, Nace invited those people who had committed their life to Christ up, do you understand that?. He then started to laugh at me and said Honey, of course I do. I said wow.. That's huge. Rick said what's huge. I said that you "almost" went up.. That's huge. I smiled a HUGE full smile and Hugged the man that I fell in love with again. Rick then said, when we do it again... I am going to go up. I almost SHOT out of my seat doing a dance instead I just stared at him. I stared and smiled an ear to ear smile. My Husband, the Father of my son just had a SERIOUS break through. THAT my friends was GLORY!!

3 comments:

Ana said...

That is so great Martha, I can imagine how happy you must be right now. God has truly blessed your family!

Tiffany said...

Martha~
At least your mom went to church, that is one step in the right direction. My mom has only been to church for my wedding, my baptism at 19, my dd's baptism and for Christmas once I think.

Anyway, I started reading PDL last summer, I am half way through it. I am going to have to pick it up again, thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Martha - I still have a hard time reading your blog - I feel like I'm snopping in your diary. Anyway, God is doing a work in Rick; as you know the HS will pierce his heart and draw him to Himself. Rick will "know" when he is called and he will want to respond & commit his life to Him. You know this - you just live it! Love ya - Lori